From about 1880,
Powell's store was located on what is now approx.
4054 Main St. which was one of the buildings
destroyed in the 1911 fire. Powell's then moved
to a building on Maple Ave. shown on p. 66 of
Preston's Trappe history. That building is now an
This photo was
probably taken in the 1890s. The heavy cart on the
left is the equivalent of today's pickup truck.
Note the driver's goatee, which were very popular
in these parts. In 1913, someone described Trappe as
a town of 150 souls, with 50 outfits of chin